The Pacific region is defined by its coastline, alternatively lined with Sandy beaches, rocky cliffs or gentle tide pools, and fringed with palm trees or dense pine forests. In this diverse region, explore vast glaciers, lush canyons, towering Redwood forests and sunny islands scattered in pristine bays. Native American cultures add richness to the art and history here.
Called the USA’s last frontier, Alaska is by far the biggest state. Savour salmon caught in icy rivers, learn the storeys behind the intricately carved tribal totems, see massive glaciers from a helicopter or a kayak and Marvel at the glorious colours of the ethereal Northern Lights. Have your camera ready for sights of bears, bald eagles, moose and orcas.
Stretching some 800 miles North to South, California offers a huge diversity of landscapes, from Yosemite National Park and the Sierra Nevada mountains in the North to Joshua Tree National Park and Sequoia National Forest in the South. Explore cities such as sophisticated San Francisco, glamorous Los Angeles and sunny San Diego.
In Oregon, adventures abound: go mountain biking in the Columbia River Gorge with views of Mount Hood, sip your way through vineyards in the Williamette Valley or picnic by in enchantingly blue Crater Lake.
In Washington state, sail among the San Juan islands, hike past thundering waterfalls in Olympic National Park and go cross country skiing in the shadow of Mount Rainier. In Seattle, revive yourself at one of the city’s coffeehouses, at my panoramic views from the Space Needle.
- Get closer to the stars at Hollywood’s Walk of Fame, the world’s most famous sidewalk
- Spend the day at one of Anaheim’s world-famous theme parks
- Go behind the scenes of the world’s largest working movie studio, Universal Studios Hollywood
- Explore Santa Barbara, the American Riviera
- Experience California’s Central Coast splendour on Highway 1
- Marvel at 17-Mile Drive’s the Lone Cypress
- Walk along the railings of San Francisco’s world-famous Golden Gate Bridge
- Explore the mysteries of Alcatraz Island
- Sample California’s tastiest wines in Sonoma/Napa Valley
- Dip your toes in Lake Tahoe, the deep blue jewel of the Sierra Nevada Mountains
- Glimpse the largest monoliths of exposed granite in Yosemite National Park
- See some of the world’s tallest trees in Redwood National Forest
- Follow the ever-changing Oregon Coastal Highway, exploring quaint towns and seascapes
- See the panoramic views from the top of the Space Needle in Seattle
- Explore the crown jewel of the Alaska Range, Denali National Park & Preserve